Sunday 20 August 2017

Good Things Come In Three's (E così va, la tre settimane)

💕
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXd0uUODlap/?taken-by=_dreamingangel_
https://www.instagram.com/p/BV5LcfyDwWR/?taken-by=_dreamingangel_

The Third Week

I'm exhausted, euphoric, stripped raw to the bone from hard work, and electric energy is pulsing through my veins as everyone around me is in jovial spirits- chatting and enjoying themselves. The lights are bright and flattering; casting attractive shadows over everyone's features and the spacious room around us feels a little too small with how many people are bustling in and out. This isn't a party, or a huge fete or even a lounge. This is a bookstore event, a lit, harped one and everyone is working extremely hard to make it a success. In, all honesty finding the time to write this journal entry was pretty hard considering all the work I had to do, but I kept pushing on :D



14/8/17, Monday (Action Packed)

My Monday started off with an unwelcomed surprise, but it all got sorted out and soon I was able to continue doing what I was required at work :D
I mostly spent a lot of time doing online promotional work for Carifesta and writing up emails and Campaigns to send to Animecon clients and reporters from all of the major media houses in Barbados.



15/8/17, Tuesday (The opposite of slowburn)
I hope the opposite of slowburn is a fast collision because that is exactly what this day was. A forceful shove into the reality of how hectic work can be and… I LOVE IT! It was exhilarating and also so incredibly exhausting setting up for Carifesta. The tensions were high, my mind was skipping all over the place as I had to delegate to the volunteers and do my own work and I also had to balance my energy being surrounded by such jejunus people or rather the lack of stimulating activity.

  I was so exhausted by the end of the day, from sliding in- or rather forcing-  planks into bookshelves, to cleaning everything down with sanitiser and then packing out books.


16/8/17,  Wednesday (Contemplative Motions)
 
This day was undoubtedly the most stressful in the week; I had to help reorganise the bookshelves and the way I wanted them formatted- all aesthetic and giving off a good artsy vibe- unfortunately wasn’t practical so the books had to be packed stiffly in a listing order.  This was a tad frustrating because it meant double work
I then started giving feedback on the previous year's graphics for Animecon- I also took the initiative to create some graphics myself. This was challenging as I hadn’t made any graphics before but I was vaguely familiar with the concept from my older blogging days ( I also hadn’t blogged in over two years since writing these journal entries and I have not ever written any form of journal quite like this, considering I had a fashion blog aha but I like it- it’s soothing and I like trying new things.) Anyways, I made a rough draft of a draft  and Erica liked the format so I guess I will go from there and try and think of the best way to present it.
I was able to start networking with a lady from BBC news, who for some reason I think took a shining to me and came over to talk to me despite us being at opposite ends of the room - where she was surrounded by other people! We discussed fashion, some of the arts and then we followed each other on Instagram! With her complimenting my feed. I quite liked her afro and sunglasses, they were very chic (especially with the semi plum tint mellowed out by the black frames)!
The day wounded down, pretty swiftly after that and it was soon 5' O clock and thus home time.

When I got home however, my day didn't end workwise. I did more work for DataLore and I also tried to help with a graduation plan.


17/8/17, Thursday (Warning Winds)
This day was quite busy and I was a bit tired from all of the hard work and set up that started to catch up with me from Monday-Wednesday. I can only imagine how everyone else who had to lift heavier boxes and materials than me felt and, despite this detail - I still feel really proud of myself for doing a bit of the menial work (especially since I didn’t have to due to my position and I hate doing mundane tasks usually).
Back to the meat of the matter, Erica gave me the option of going to help set up the bookstore again or to stay back in the office and work. I chose to work, because I realised that we were falling behind on a lot of stuff! Especially, Animecon matters and marketing one of our client’s books. I swiftly got to work and Ashley (a male freelancer for DataLore Ink) came back and forth during setup to keep me company. I found his name really interesting aha and he seemed like a pretty nice guy, a very stern yet grandfatherly type of energy about him as he made phone calls and spoke.

I definitely enjoyed having a bit of free time and being able to think by myself and enjoy my own company (It’s good to be able to have some time alone to reflect and relax yourself and recharge) but I also enjoyed when other people came back. Actually, it's only when Jenifer and Kibwe came back that I checked my messages and found out that there was a tropical storm warning but by that time I had practically completed a full day's work. So, with consent from my boss I was encouraged  to leave and get home safely.

ALSO, Erica called me when I got home in order to make sure that I was safe and sound and that was honestly so sweet and genuine and thoughtful! The Micro Macro team also messaged everyone in the groupchat to try and ascertain if everyone was safe as well! That was pretty nice.

18/8/17, Friday (Harvey made an appearance)
Leading off from last night’s tense atmosphere of preparing for the storm, Kibwe and I were given time off from work. When Twelve O’clock came and the all clear was given- my area was flooded and so even if I wanted to, I wouldn’t have been able to go back to work or leave my house. 💚


I also noted, that Game Night was sadly cancelled because of the tropical storm 😢. After such a long and stressing week, I honestly needed a bit of a break in order to rejuvenate for Carifesta which, will begin for me on Monday. As, you can tell comparative to my other two blog entries- this week was a bit less interesting and a lot of hard work but I like my job. :D

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog #stepupwithmm and #chattelhousebarbados




No comments:

Post a Comment